Meet the Community Development Department
Director: Gayle Borchard, 360-642-4421, firstname.lastname@example.org
Building Inspector: Rick Gray, 360-642-4421
Long Beach Planning Commission
Commissioners: Wellington Marsh (Chair), Curtis Epping, Lesley Ferguson, Kathleen Graham, William Stidham, and Thomas Werner.
The Commission meets every second Tuesday of the month, 7 pm at City Hall. City Hall is ADA compliant. Applications must be submitted by the last business day of the month to be scheduled for the next Commission meeting. Planning Commission Schedule
Change for Good (click picture to open gallery)
Change for Good is a program of the Mayor’s implemented by the Community Development Department, whereby recognition is given to an idea, a person, or a thing that changes the lives of people in Long Beach for the better. If you would like to make a nomination for a Change for Good recognition, please send Gayle an e-mail at her address, shown above.
The City is finalizing its 2012 amendments to its Building, Unified Development, Zoning , and Critical Areas codes. The Planning Commission will conduct a public hearing on March 12, 2013 and the City Council will conduct another public hearing on March 18th. If you have questions about this annual process, please contact us:
Gayle Borchard, Community Development Director
City of Long Beach
115 Bolstad West; PO Box 310
Long Beach, Washington 98631
Fact Sheets About Planning Topics
The following fact sheets address a number of issues about which we frequently receive questions.
- Comprehensive Plan Update 2026
- - Introduction
- - Vision
- - Goals & Strategies
- - Community Involvement
- - Urban Form Alternatives
- - Existing Conditions
- Map C-1 Future Land Use
- Map C-2 Urban Growth Areas
- Map A-1 Annexation Update
- Map A-2 Transportation Plan
- Map A-3 Development Parameters
- Map A-4 Parks & Open Space
Design Review is a no-fee process that applies to all signs; it also applies to development projects and major exterior remodels in certain locations. If you have design review questions, please contact Gayle at the phone number or e-mail address shown above.
- Design Review Fact Sheet – What is it, do you need it?
- City of Long Beach Design Guidelines
- Design Review Application
- Design Review Application for a Sign
If you are seeking approval of a development project, a plat or a boundary line adjustment, a variance, or a conditional or special use permit,complete the following Development Approval Application. Depending on site or nearby conditions, you may also need to complete an environmental checklist and/or a critical areas checklist. A fee or fees will apply, depending on your project or permit type.
- Development Approval Application
- State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) Environmental Checklist
- Critical Areas Checklist
Building Details and Other Information
The links below address common building and structural design issues.
- Work Exempt from Building Permit
- 2009 Span Tables
- Deck Ledger Attachment
- Decks & Stairs
- Emergency Escape and Rescue Openings
- Propane Tank Setbacks
- Railing Handgrip Sizes
- Shed Type Roof
- Typical Foundation
- Typical Foundation #2
- Occupancies (Garage) – Single Floor Only
- Wind Exposure Category
Development Guidelines For Public Works Standards
These are the standards that public infrastructure must meet: streets, sewers, drainage, etc.
- Section 01 – Introduction
- Section 02 – Permits
- Section 03 – Public Works
- Section 04 – Streets Section
- Section 05 – Storm Drainage
- Section 06 – Sanitary Sewer
- Section 07 – Water System
- Section 08 – Miscellaneous
- Section 09 – Details
- Section 10 – Legal
Below are details and diagrams for development and public works projects.